This Wallpaper is dedicated to the Prakash Purab and Miri Piri de Maalik Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji Maharaj.
The following is a summary of the main highlights of Guru Ji’s life:
1. Introduced martial arts and weapons training and created a standing Military force for the defence of the masses from tyrant rule.
2. Carried 2 swords of Miri and Piri : “Temporal Power” and “Spiritual Power”.
3. Built Sri Akal Takht Sahib (in front of Sri Darbar Sahib, Amritsar) in 1608 – which is now one of five Takhats (Seats of Power) of the Sikh Religion. Akal Takhat (Punjabi: ਅਕਾਲ ਤਖ਼ਤ, Akāl Taḵẖt) means the Throne of the Immortal and is the highest political institution of the Sikhs.
4. Founded the city of Kiratpur in District Rupnagar, (old name Ropar), Punjab
5. Held in the fort of Gwalior for one year, obstensibly to pray for the recovery of the ill Emperor Jahangir (the Guru had willingly gone to the fort), when released he refused to leave unless 52 imprisoned Hindu Rajas were freed as well. Guru Sahib earned their freedom by turning the Emperor’s own words against him. To mark this occasion the Sikhs celebrate Bandi Chorr Divas and Deepa wali to celebrate his return to Amritsar.
6. First Sikh Guru(after 5 predecessors) to engage in warfare, fighting and winning 4 defensive battles with Mughal forces.← Previous